16 December 2009

From Thesis

It has occurred to me that I have yet to post anything from my thesis class. I have to admit, I haven't been as pleased with the pieces from this semester as I might have been, but I quite enjoyed doing ink drawings of various tools used in the British navy, and in shipbuilding, around the time of the Napoleonic Wars.

Sparmaking Tools - for making masts

Sailmakin Tools - just what they sound like, actually

Rigging Tools - braiding, pulling apart and running rigging

Caulking Tools - because it's good for your ship to be watertight

2 comments:

  1. i actually have a book of early american hand tools, all ink illustrations. you should probably check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks - sounds like something definitely worth looking at. what's it called?

    ReplyDelete